Hard earned draw and another Tottenham cleansheet

Posted on November 03, 2013 by Guest Writer

What was a dominant first half turned into a far more even contest in the second half with Lukaku and Sigurdsson going particularly close. Unfortunately there is still plenty of work to do in order to provide chances for the £26m man who probably didn’t get a single opportunity to show his class.

Vlad Chiriches managed another ninety minutes and once again showed signs of improvement, he really is likely to be something special sometime soon and with Younes Kaboul, Dawson and Vertonghen to call upon in the centre AVB is spoilt for choice.

Hugo Lloris was hardly troubled all afternoon even though Everton did manage to exert a bit more pressure in the second half, the most concern for most of us was the nasty collision with Lukaku which must have felt like running into a wall, a complete accident and ultimately Lukaku suffered most being forced to leave the field with a leg injury soon after.

And so it’s on to the next game having now drawn level once again with Liverpool and Chelsea, hopefully with a few more difficult fixtures coming along for Arsenal the opportunity might arise to claw back some of the five point lead they currently hold.

31 to “Hard earned draw and another Tottenham cleansheet”

1. Boobaspur says:

Bit of a short write up… No mention of the two pretty clear penalty decisions shirked by the referee.

Super-Jan was excellent today slightly out of position. I thought most of the team played well.

Unfortunately still no clear-cut chance for Soldado which must be starting to weigh heavy on his confidence. Personally my patience is being tested.

Spurs made Everton look very ordinary in the first half – and had that clear-cut penalty been awarded, might have gone on to take all three points.

A draw was the fairest result though in my opinion as Everton had much of the possession in the 2nd half.

Good to see Lloris carry on after a very heavy knock, which perhaps was deserving of the yellow card Lukaku picked up – along with an ice-pack on his injured knee.

A nerve-racing match, with a huge 9 minutes added time. Three points would have been nice but happy to have come away with a clean sheet and it might prove to be a very valuable point in the latter stages of the season.

Away support was fantastic again. Well done to the lads.

• Gunner says:

too bad you lot used your last of the referee fund to buy a PK at Hull- no money left for Everton PK

We are used to it, not one last season so a couple of decisions in our favour well overdue. Of course the likes of Arsenal and United don’t have to worry about not getting pen decisions in their favour.

2. eric says:

We have the most clean sheets this season,I know we haven’t been scoring much but if AVB has turned us solid defensively then we should have faith in him to do the same with the offence

Thats what coaches do and AVB is one of the best. He cured conceding late goals against, he has a defensively brilliant team that controls games and now he will work on improving the amount of goals the team scores. Have no fear if we are equal 2nd with all these so called problems just imagine what we can achieve.

• Boobaspur says:

Absolutely agree with you both – as is often said: If you don’t concede a goal then you can’t lose the match.

I think the team are doing great work defensively and I think AVB is a brilliant coach and manager.

Just desperate for a few more goals. Perhaps we will get a look at Adebayor in the next few weeks in the Europa League – if his injury in training isn’t too serious.

have to agree that Adebayor needs to have a run although Soldado has done nothing wrong and continues to work his socks off, the goals will come.

3. macgooner says:

No penalty today I see looks like ye might have to start scoring from open play now

4. eric says:

Nice work with the live scores,schedule n table

5. BigH says:

Good result and we look like a team that is hard to beat. Over the years we have been a soft touch so now its good to see our ability to fight for 90 mins. Yes scoring is looking a bit dicey and certainly we are not creating chances for Soldado. I have said it before, patience, even though mine is thoroughly being tested. COYS

Been a spurs supporter for far too long and at last defence is their strength, have no fear they will get the goals flowing it’s not like we are playing with ten behind the ball, we are always the most offensive team. 16 shots to eight by Everton with 6 on target to 2. Not a single save from Lloris just a close nick from Lukaku. TTID. COYS

6. eric says:

We can’t complain,can we? will gladly take 2nd place

7. Jide says:

I’m sorry guys, my patient is running out with Soldado. AVB needs to give Defoe and Adebayor their chance. It’s great keeping clean sheets, but we need to start putting the ball into the net too.

Considering Spurs dominance of the first 45 against Everton, we needed to score. I just hope that failure to take advantage of dominance such as this, will not come back to hunt us at the end of the season.

Also, it’s time Soldado adapt his game to AVB’s tactics. In my view, he cannot just get frustrated every time he does not get the ball in the position he wants, and throws his hands up. What’s wrong with getting himself in postion for the next chance?

We need to solidify ourself in the top four. Goal difference may play a significant part this season. Therefore, we need to start scoring goals.

Cant agree with you on that one Defoe has had the last 4 to secure a position and failed. I agree yhat Ade needs to play in cups to start with but you dont spend 26m on a striker amd then not play to hid strengths. They will be working on that and will get iy right soon.Last year everybody was moaning about the late goals conceded and he put end to thst.jave faith it will happen but JD is not the answerits a team mattet Soldado is not missing he is not getting service.

8. Jide says:

I’m sorry guys, my patience is running out with Soldado. AVB needs to give Defoe and Adebayor their chance. It’s great keeping clean sheets, but we need to start putting the ball into the net too.

9. Eric says:

Hey jide if Avb has done wonders with our defence then we owe it to him to have faith he’ll do the same with our offence

10. fordo says:

i think we should not look at arsenal instesd we should make soldado score goals from open play we spent 26m and if he does not score more than 15 goals he will be a flop

11. eddie says:

I live in France and without sky am limited to edited highlights(?)for my league viewing.I agree that avb has certainly tightened us up defensively,but with so many midfielders to choose from,I would expect more goals.I really worry that goal difference could again be our undoing.
    Much as Townsend has improved I think he needs to be less selfish.If he is played on the left and Lennon right they can both use their favoured foot to whip in crosses,after beating the full back, to provide decent opportunities for Soldado.He works hard up front but without the service he is not going to score.Whether you alternate with Defoe or Ade makes no difference.
    I feel avb must make Townsend particularly aware that his shot success rate is poor and he needs to convert his obvious talents into assisting his team-mates.
    All that said,we are still in a healthy position,however we missed the chance to go second,albeit against traditionally strong opponents.

Can’t argue with any of that and I too believe that perhaps when Lennon especially plays he and Townsend should switch regularly so as to operate differently i.e. get to byline and provide balls into the box for Soldado to feed on. Apart from a lack of goals there’s not much else wrong in my opinion with just a quarter of the season gone.

• Boobaspur says:

Eddie – get yourself on to Wiziwig.tv and you should always be able to find our matches.

A guy calling himself Bloodzeed offers by far the best quality streams but you will need a good broadband speed (mine is 30down 3up for example). Be very patient when waiting for it to buffer up.

There are usually heaps of other streams, you could get a poorer flash stream for example if you don’t have good speeds. Nutjob is one I can think of.

I would suggest using an Ad Blocker in your browser as they are not always the cleanest.

I live in Ireland and I have not yet missed a Spurs match all season including both cups and league.

I have no affiliation with any of the streams on Wiziwig by the way.

12. eric says:

Lennon doesn’t score,assist,head or create all he does is run n hope.Check out his record he hasn’t scored for 900 minutes now,after 8 years if he hasn’t improved then he never will

13. Jide says:

I have every faith in our manager Eric. But there is a problem with scoring goals. If Soldado is not cutting it, we need to do something before it is too late. We have 2 strikers bench warming, we cannot be blind to subbing Soldado because he cost 25 million quid.

You can’t castigate Soldado for a lack of decent service to compliment his strengths or why buy him, Ade had the same problem last year and Defoe only does it against second rate opposition, he started against Hull and West Ham and was poor, he is close to 32 yrs of age and is always spoken of as a pure striker but has never managed 20 goals in a season, in fact his average is less than 10 and his best ever tally was 2009/10 with 18 and that included 5 against Hull and only 13 in the other 33 games. It could just as easily be RVP up top without knowing how best to supply him the goals won’t follow. Chill they will solve it and Soldado is the man to have on the end of the chances.

• Jide says:

You have convinced me. I would chill for now!

I’m i the only one who thinks the media has over reacted on the Lloris on or off issue after the collision with Lukaku? It’s like they just cannot wait to put the boot in, even Fifa got on the act! Lloris wanted to continue, but more important our team Doctor cleared him to play. I cannot make up my mind whether or not it was correct him playing on, but I think the press/media went over the top blaming the Club & AVB.

14. Eric says:

These same doctors were partly responsible for saving Muamba’s life so I must say m very surprised with the over the top criticisms